Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Sorority Life - Diamond Sisters

This is my first post in a serious about sorority life. When I was in school, I LOVED being in a sorority. I was just looking back through pictures and it made me smile to think about all of the fun adventures. I realized I didn't take enough pictures; I wish I had more to look back on.

Since I loved it so much in college I decided to stay involved as an alumnae. When I moved to San Jose I became an advisor 2 weeks after moving here! I am the Recruitment and Marketing advisor for our Santa Clara chapter and I love every second of it.

This week it is Big/Little Diamond Sister reveal and chapter retreat. It makes me think back to my experiences. I loved being a big diamond sister and still keep in touch with most of my little diamond sisters, even if it's just a Facebook message every so often. Here is a picture of a couple of my littles:
Elissa, Cameron, Chelsea, Caitlin and I
 
This isn't all my littles but just the only picture I could find. Elissa became part of our "crew" when her big graduated so I took her under my wing you could say. I wish I could find the picture I took at formal my last year where it had all my littles, grand littles, and great grand littles. It's amazing the bond that can happen by being a big or little diamond sister to someone.

At the beginning, becoming a big diamond sister is kind of awkward. You may not know the person and aren't sure what you're supposed to be doing. What if you don't have anything in common? But in the end that isn't what a big/little diamond relationship is about. It's about being there. It's about taking them out to fun things and meet people. It's about introducing them to the most amazing sorority ever!

You don't have to be best friends with your little. That's not what the relationship is meant for. Sure it's great if that happens but what is more important is just being there for her. Sending a quick text wishing her luck on an exam or just to have a great day. Helping her get ready for a fun evening or a social event. Providing a shoulder to lean on and someone to laugh with. Someone to help them get through that crazy time called college.

Even now 6 years after graduating I still keep in touch with these ladies; some more than others. The joy of Facebook is that I can see how they are all doing and what sorts of amazing things they are doing with their lives.

At my baby shower in AZ Chelsea came and my great grand little even sent me a card. These women truly impacted my time in the sorority and college; I hope I was able to do the same for them!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment